Area Sales Manager
- Conduct daily sales calls based on assigned objectives.
- Present all new product launches to existing and prospective customers.
- Develop and add new customers, cold calling both wholesalers and retailers in assigned territory as necessary.
- Travel and conduct sales meetings with existing customers on assigned frequency, and at least weekly, to review their business performance.
- Establish, develop, and maintain positive business and customer relationships.
- Expedite the resolution of customer problems and complaints to maximize satisfaction.
- Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within schedule.
- Achieve agreed upon cost expenditures within schedule.
- Coordinate sales effort with team members and other departments.
- Analyze the territory/market’ s potential, track sales and status reports.
- Supply management with reports on customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities observed during the course of employment.
- Keep abreast of best practices and product trends.
- Develop promotional activities for key customers to assist with growing sales.
- Recommend product assortments to customers.
- Forecast, track profitability, and provide progress reports as needed.
- Facilitate resolution of operational issues to ensure compliance and minimize chargebacks.
- Attend sales meetings and trade shows as needed.
- Overnight domestic travel required (up to 50%).
- Work primarily within assigned territory, but travel to other locations for discrete periods on occasion, as required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Teamwork Skills— coordination, communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to analyze statistics and other data and to interpret and evaluate results, and create reports and/or presentations.
- Interpersonal Skills— the individual exhibits care and concern for consumer issues, maintains confidentiality of proprietary information per established policies, exhibits tact and diplomacy, understands and practices ethical behavior, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Planning/organizing— the individual prioritizes and plans their work activities and uses time efficiently. Ability to balance multiple priorities without losing sight of important details. Organization, planning, execution, and follow-up skills are critical.
- Oral communication— the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writing, presentation/public speaking, and listening skills required.
- Written Communication— the individual edits his or her work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Quality control— the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability— the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability— the individual consistently complies with attendance and related policies, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Accuracy-the individual must possess attention to detail and excellence in grammar and spelling.
- Experience calling on both retailers and wholesaler customers and demonstrated skills in achieving sales and profitability goals.
- Business math ability (understanding margins, mark-up, etc.).
- Understanding of Account buying cycles, margin, and sell-thru expectations.
- Bachelor’ s Degree OR
- Equivalent experience in sales/retail OR
- Any similar combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Valid Driver’ s License.
- Ability to comply with all applicable motor vehicle laws and obtain sufficient insurance.
- Ability to work remotely from a home-based office.
- Availability to travel and work outside of regularly scheduled work hours, as needed.