UNIX System Support
Washington, District Of Columbia
Post Date: 05/30/2017 Job ID: 23318 Industry: Information Technology
We are looking for a UNIX System Support contractor for our direct client in Washington, DC. Interested candidates may submit their resume in word format. The position requires an in-person interview, after a phone screen, for which our client will not bear any expenses.
- Provide support to office or business unit users of proprietary or custom application software.
- Answer technical questions, troubleshoot problems, and guide users to gain productive use of software.
- May extract data, format and run reports, or perform specific analytical functions using application.
- May have substantial subject matter knowledge of business unit discipline.
- Includes both staff in corporate facility supporting use of business-specific applications to corporate staff, or staff providing product support to customers using proprietary software.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide production support or technical support to users of a customized or proprietary application.
- May act as lead. Allocate work to staff, plan, communicate, evaluate and manage performance by staff.
- Assess needs for technical development of staff and provide formal or informal training opportunities to staff.
- Confer with management of client groups using application(s) supported by group and assess uptime, productive use of application, and needs for further development or enhancements to make application more useful.
- Plan and conduct regular or periodic meetings of staff responsible for maintaining applications in production to assess issues or bugs and plan strategy for addressing them. Plan, contribute to, or conduct projects for testing software enhancement, developing requirements for system enhancement, revision or development of application, or related projects.
- Bachelor' s Degree or equivalent required
- 6+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Unix/Linux Sys Admin WebLogic, jBoss, Apache
- Oracle and Sybase databases Scripting Market Data Support (Thomson-Reuters)
- Strong knowledge of UNIX and scripting (bash, shell, Perl)
- Experience supporting critical production applications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment supporting client’ s Market Room / Trading Floor
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take ownership while working in a collaborative and team-oriented environment
- Ability to perform occasional on-call / after-hours support (only about 3-4 times per month) as well as occasional application deployments over the weekend (only about 3-4 times per year)
- Demonstrable experience working with third-party Market Data applications such as
- Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Tradeweb, Intex, etc. (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of RDBMS / SQL (Oracle, Sybase) to include the creation and execution of simple queries (Preferred)