Senior Electrical Engineer (Substation)
2405 E Sligh Avenue Tampa, Florida 33610
- Provide technical execution and oversight of designs knowing substation physical design, protection and control, relay coordination, and relay programming.
- Write high voltage equipment specifications and contractor work scopes, request vendor quotations, evaluate quotations, material purchase request forms, and vendor quotation evaluation for substation equipment including high voltage circuit breakers, switchgear, disconnects, high voltage power transformers, high voltage cable, and protection and control systems
- Interface with internal and external team members including Protection and Control Engineers, Electrical Designers, Physical Designers, Drafts people, Project Managers, and support organizations
- Be responsible for the oversight and integral knowledge of all specifications, single line drawings and schematics, plan and elevation drawings, general substation arrangement and layout, relay protection and control requirements, and layouts for high voltage bus, cable, high voltage equipment, conduit, cable, and wiring, grounding, switchgear and control buildings
- Perform design calculations such as battery sizing and DC system component selection, power transformer and circuit breaker selection, circuit protection, control and power cable selection and rating, bus, fittings, insulator, and lightning protection
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degrees, from an accredited university. Experience in substation design; successful candidates will have at least 3 years’ experience in substation engineering design with more senior level positions requiring 7 years or more in hands on engineering design. Senior applicants must be a licensed professional engineer with ability to become licensed in Florida.
- Familiarity with electrical relays currently utilized in the electric power utility industry
- Experience in application of relays and metering in an electrical substation at 138kV and above
- Experience in the design of electrical schematics for relay applications and control systems
- Experience in the design of connection drawings and cabling
- Relay coordination experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals
- Knowledge and understanding of three phase power systems
- Knowledge and understanding of per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- Knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions
- Knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a project
- Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment