Smart Grid Project Manager
6003 Pershing Avenue Orlando, FL 32822
The Project Manager provides technical assurance and oversees the implementation of the Smart Grid initiative; from initial concept to final delivery. The Project Manager is responsible for managing the deployment and implementation of Smart Grid projects, schedules and budgets for electric delivery systems, and coordinating activities between all internal and external stakeholders.
The Project Manager ensures that implementations are architecturally and technically consistent with technical strategies, business strategies, policies, standards and procedures. They also play a crucial role in identifying new technologies that could affect the overall strategy from a roadmap perspective.
- Manage vendors working on projects for conceptualizing, planning, designing and implementing the initiative.
- Coordinate and act as project owner for studies that define new projects, develop their business cases, and perform preliminary engineering analysis.
- Translate business requirements using methods/models to determine appropriate architectural solutions and make sound integration architecture decisions based on expertise of open/industry standards, current and evolving technologies, products, standards, patterns, approaches, etc.
- Develop supporting roadmaps to meet business objectives
- Implement risk management practices and ensure that all risks are managed through solution projects or other means.
- Implement assurance controls for solution implementations so that they follow a managed and structured approach from concept through to delivery and transition to the project execution group(s).
- Support the project execution group(s) through project completion ensuring compliance with the proposed solution and project business case. Track project costs and benefits at a high-level for supporting updates and refreshes of the business plan.
- Demonstrated expertise in the analysis, design and integration of power system components with projects across generation and transmission infrastructure. Knowledge of applicable industry standards and experience with emergent smart grid equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices, industry standards, procedures, and trends, coupled with good understanding policies, operations, and objectives.
- Familiarity with the engineering design process along with experience and knowledge of construction activities and processes. Familiarity with code and quality assurance requirements for new products, materials, and equipment and systems used in the electric utility industries.
- Previous experience in an electric power utility with a focus on new and emerging technologies and strategy implementation.
- Demonstrated high-level IT systems knowledge and a history of engagement in IT project implementations.
- History of leadership on technical project teams and demonstrated history handling the most complex project issues and technical challenges.
- Experience architecting solutions that leverage, augment or replace existing monolithic architecture to meet business objectives.
- Proven success in the management of technical and administrative aspects of faced-paced and emergent projects.
- Excellent knowledge of power generation and transmission, IT, OT, and operational systems.
- Knowledge of securing IT and OT systems.
- Knowledge of and a working familiarity with current standards, and regulations governing the electricity industry, including IT/OT and security standards (e.g., NERC CIP).
- Knowledge of NIST, Intelligrid and other industry standard use cases.
- Expertise in developing requirements, testing, acceptance and transition.
- Expertise in producing use cases and equivalent test cases.
- Expertise in understanding and implementing cost/benefit analysis and developing project business cases.
- Ability to effectively communicate deep technology issues with non-technical senior management.
- Ability to effectively communicate/collaborate with technology experts and subject matter experts.
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills. Ability to drive innovation, drive strategy, and manage project execution.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, and collaboration skills. Ability to form and lead high-performance, interdisciplinary teams. Ability to handle obstacles and challenging situations in an effective way.
- Ability to travel to project sites to conduct on site evaluations and vendor coordination
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Industrial & Systems Engineering, or Computer Science, (4-year degree); an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the energy industry. Experience with Smart Grids and/or Microgrids.
- Working experience with Enterprise Architecture or equivalent.
- Experienced in management and oversight of technical contractors and consultants, and formulating recommendations to management
- PMI PMP certified, preferred.