Power Distribution Engineering Technologist
275 West Ponkan Road Apopka, FL 32712
- This is a customer engaging Field Engineering role.
- The Customer Delivery Engineering Technologist III uses technical expertise to accurately analyze complex options and prepare complex distribution facility work order designs for large, planned residential development, and commercial projects. This includes leadership skills to self manage work and deadlines in a specific area of expertise, with minimal supervision.
- Workers are expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently.
Duties and Responsibilities Under the professional direction, the primary tasks of this position are to:
- Design the most complex electric distribution facilities and circuit construction projects across a wide geographic area including downtown underground projects, extra facility projects, high profile projects, highway relocation projects, and other projects requiring the highest reliability.
- Prepares site drawings, construction drawings, calculations, easements, and any other required documentation for complex installations of electrical distribution facilities.
- Prepares project and job packages including material estimates and material requisitions of the materials required for complex distribution system electrical designs both single phase and three phase.
- Properly apply company client reliability principals to accurately evaluate voltage, loading, and reliability on electric distribution circuits including complex outage analysis and follow-up.
- Evaluate loading of various equipment components and circuitry or fusing to allow for system expansion ensuring a cost-effective, safe, and reliable design.
- Maintain accurate records and files and update the appropriate company client systems including updating technical client databases.
- Develops relationships with key internal and external customers, builders, developers, electricians, other utilities, and city officials as needed in the execution of client job responsibilities.
- Supports both company and client' s business goals and expectation while representing themselves both positively and professionally.
- Ability to serve as one of the departmental leads to assist with training and providing technical support for other engineering classifications.
- Ability to provide advanced expertise to recognize and resolve complex problems, assist in interpreting codes, standards, regulations, requirements, and guidelines.
- Residential subdivisions more than 10 lots, including multi-family services. Single and 3 phase commercial projects, and related area lighting and street lighting jobs.
- Some projects may include relocating and/or converting existing facilities from overhead to underground.
- The successful technologist will resolve individual customer concerns and exceed customer expectations. During major event restoration be available for 24/7 response.
- Minimum of 2-4 years experience in a utility distribution engineering environment or a related utility field.
- Minimum of a two year degree in a technical discipline, such as electronics, construction, electrical, mechanical or civil engineering technology OR a minimum of 3 years of equivalent work experience in a related field with no degree.
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Self-directed self-motivated, savvy, reliable, trustworthy, as well as technically competent. Demonstrated team player.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Understanding of basic electricity and power quality.
- Knowledge of Distribution construction standards and methods.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Possess a valid drivers license and vehicle suitable for business use (mileage reimbursement applies).
- Proficient user of personal computer, particularly Microsoft Office based applications.
- Self-Motivated, Work independently, Team-Oriented, Customer Satisfaction focus.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and provide leadership to other team members.
- Maximo and Bentley Design Tool experience is advised.
- Thorough understanding of Electric Distribution materials, work procedures, and work dependencies.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of higher level analysis programs and tools.
- Experience in leading groups or teams.
- 2 to 4 year technical degree.