Power Distribution Engineering Technologist
199 East Mountain Lake Cutoff Road Lake Wales, FL 33859
- This position owns all power quality issues as well as proactive reliability monitoring within a defined territory.
- For Power Quality issues, the Technologist is responsible for all customer contact, analysis of data to pinpoint specific causes and locations of issues, preparing packets to give to a PQ field Tech for field investigation, issuing and tracking any work requests generated as a result of investigation, managing outbound calls, and following up with customers once issues are resolved to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
- For proactively identifying potential reliability issues, the Technologist is responsible for monitoring reports identifying repeat momentary operations or repeat outages, analyzing data to identify cause of the issue, and working with the PQ Field Tech and/ or Reliability Engineer for the area to develop a solution.
Major Job Duties:
- Learn and practice a Safety First attitude incorporating company safety rules and policies in all aspects of daily work.
- Provides deep technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems in area of expertise.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities.
- Independently prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches.
- Conducts engineering and related studies.
- Strives to continually improve job-related, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company' s goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
- Own all communication to customers regarding power quality concerns for a given area regardless of how the concern was initiated (I.e. call center, PSC complaints, executive complaints, etc.). Must be customer focused and possess a comfort working with customers on a daily basis.
- Analyze data from momentary operations and outage reports. Use fault current data and CYME modeling to identify potential trouble locations on the feeder.
- Coordinate field investigations with the PQ Field Tech by preparing a package including maps and suspected trouble spots. Provide direction to the PQ Field Tech on priority of job and work scope. Review findings with the PQ Field Tech to determine appropriate next step in issue resolution.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure work is designed, scheduled, and constructed in a timely manner.
- Be available for and perform major and minor storm restoration duties including extended working hours, field work and/or specific storm assignments.
- Experience in electric utility industry and a basic understanding of how the distribution system operates
- Understands basic principles of project management
- Customer-focused approach with experience handling escalated issues
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written
- Advanced level computer skills
- Technical aptitude
- Problem-solving abilities for trouble-shooting and diagnosing issues
- Team-oriented, analytical, and organized