Principal Network Engineer
Chantilly, VA 20120
Principal Network Engineer
TS/SCI with CI Polygraph Required, Full-scope preferred
Job Location: USA-VA-Chantilly
Job Function: Information Technology
- Utilizes the ITILv3 processes and additional Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for event, incident, and configuration management on Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) and Internet Protocol/Multi-Protocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) techniques
- Monitors and investigates Network Management System (NMS) Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) trap data and Syslog messages, troubleshoots network incidents, documents findings, remotely restores services/recommends fix actions, and dispatches maintenance to appropriate organizations if remote restoration is possible
- Coordinates and implements network changes in accordance with established communications maintenance activity (CMA) processes and procedures
- Performs traffic engineering (TE) by intelligently manipulating Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) metrics to temporarily alt-route Label Switched Path (LSP) traffic in the event of an incident or CMA
- Collects relevant information required for vendor Technical Assistance Cases (TACs) and provides engineered solutions where a temporary work around is feasible until failed hardware is processed via Return Maintenance Authorization (RMA)
- Reports Situational Awareness (SA) information to the customer and works to identify business impact in conjunction with technical trouble ticketing documentation
- Maintains Job Qualification Standard (JQS) requirements and job certification with an implemented Annual Plan of Instruction (APOI) per customer direction in conjunction with DoD 8570 Requirements
Work is done on a rotating Panama shift schedule:
Schedule 1 Schedule 2 Work – Tue, Wed Off – Tue, Wed Off – Thur, Fri Work – Thur, Fri Work – Sat, Sun, Mon Off – Sat, Sun, Mon Off – Tue, Wed Work – Tue, Wed Work – Thur, Fri Off – Thur, Fri Off – Sat, Sun, Mon Work – Sat, Sun, Mon
Rotating schedule (3 months – days/3 months – nights)
6pm-6am (shift differential during certain hours)
Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
8-10 years of directly related experience in network analysis and design.
Must possess appropriate current DoD Information Assurance (IA) certification to be considered for employment; i.e., CompTIA Security+ CE, or CCNA-Security. CompTIA Security+ CE is the preferred certification. In addition, must attain the required DOD 8570 Computing Environment (CE) certification within six (6) months of hire date. Due to the sensitive nature of the work performed for this government customer, candidates must be willing to submit to and pass a polygraph.
As part of their role/function on the program, the candidate will be granted privileged user access. Privileged Users are subject to greater scrutiny as a direct result of the significant responsibilities placed upon them. Please be aware that because of these critical duties, the candidate will be subject to additional IT system monitoring, and supervisory evaluation to ensure continuous adherence to Privileged User processes and procedures. Privileged Users are subject to a zero-tolerance policy for security violations.
Because of the sensitive nature of the work being done for this government client, all candidates must hold a TS/SCI with Polygraph.