Technical Writer II
47123 Buse Rd Patuxent River, MD 20670
Title: Technical Writer II
Description of Responsibilities:
- Shall support technical data tracking, versioning and life cycle within the company common source database (CSDB), be knowledgeable with assigned project writing specifications; such as S1000D, MIL-STD-3001-1 or other DoD specifications or standards.
- Should be knowledgeable with DoD Technical Manual development and/or interactive electronic technical manuals (IETM), S1000D business rules, be able to develop technical data in accordance with (IAW) a project book plan or technical data development plan.
- Must be able to develop technical data leveraged from source data, i.e. logistics management information (LMI) maintenance task analysis (MTA), engineering drawings, Maintenance Plans and design or engineering specifications; be able to develop operational procedures and corrective maintenance and diagnostics (troubleshooting) procedures for Organizational (O-Level), Intermediate (I-Level) and Depot (D-Level) and support and participate in IPRs and technical data Validation and/or Verification efforts as required.
- Shall be able to complete and deliver a high quality product on schedule and ensure final documentation clearly and effectively communicates the technical information and data to appropriate audiences; ensures documents are developed in accordance with program specifications; properly collects and accumulates appropriate technical information and data through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, software description documents, engineering documents and interviewing technical experts.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment, be able to take direction with minimal follow-up to complete a project; and represent the organization as a subject matter expert (SME) on projects if necessary.
- Bachelor' s degree in English, Journalism or similar discipline, or the equivalent experience, i.e., any combination of undergraduate/graduate study/experience where two (2) years of experience in the required areas equals one (1) year of academic deficiency.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Five years’ experience as a technical writer of military specifications, standards, and technical manuals.
- Experience must include original writing or scientific, technical, engineering or other professional material requiring an understanding of the basic concepts, practices and specialized vocabulary of the appropriate scientific and technical field, and to acquire additional information about the field and related fields to describe the principles, operations, and basic concepts in clear simple language.
- Knowledge of Common Source Databases, Arbortext Editor, Oxygen XML, SGML/XML, Microsoft Office Suite, and other applications, including IETM and desktop publishing.
- Must demonstrate a comprehensive technical understanding of military or commercial systems, and technical writing/editing principles, theories, standards and concepts; strong working knowledge of the development of technical manuals and documentation; and strong working knowledge of computer-based tools in the production of technical documentation.
- Must possess the ability to grasp new concepts quickly; to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information; strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to accurately analyze, document and develop technical procedures.
- Ability to work both independently in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel, as required.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Self-starter who functions with minimum supervision.
- Military training experiences a plus.
A National Agency Check with Inquires (NACI) will be required.