1000 East Main Street Plainfield, IN 46168
- The individual will use title examination skills, legal description comprehension, and basic negotiating strategies to facilitate the land rights acquisition process for Distribution right of way.
- They must be familiar with public land records and how to research ownership as well as be familiar with numerous other land use issues. They will work in collaboration with landowners, attorneys, surveyors, engineers and others in gaining land rights to support company projects and customer requests. They may respond to requests for records research and assist with more complex transactions.
- This position is responsible for the real estate research for internal business units such as Transmission, Distribution, Legal, Asset Protection and Vegetation Management. This would include researching of Company and public records to determine ownership of property or prior rights, review and interpretation of engineering drawings and site plans; review of legal descriptions; preparation of easement documents; acquire and prepare documents for new service; review, tracking and processing of easement documents to comply with corporate policy and state law, support the processing and transmittal of easement packages to the Data Management Specialists and GIS; The research is conducted by using databases at public facilities and on-line via the internet through Register of Deeds, GIS, Clerk of Court, Google, tax office, etc. and Company archival system.
- Perform verification of existing easement rights in support of DOT and municipality related projects for reimbursement, as well as customer issues, forestry, claims, etc.
- This position will work in support and collaboration with Land Representatives and Research Specialist' s as well as other key internal and external customers such as landowners, attorneys, engineers, peers, and others in gaining land rights to support Distribution and Transmission projects and customer requests to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Associates Degree in Business, Survey, Real Estate, Law or related field; or Paralegal Certification with 1-3 years of work related experience; 3-5 years of prior work related experience in lieu of a degree (e.g., Real Estate Paralegal, Legal Assistant, Preparation of legal documents, experience with researching for Register of Deeds)
Job-specific knowledge, skills or abilities:
- Prior experience using and understanding legal descriptions
- Prior knowledge and experience with section/township/range and/or metes and bounds
- Prior title experience
- Researching/problem-solving skills
- Ability to perform research at nearby courthouses
- GIS experience a plus